It has also been a bridge between town and gown, and between the several academic communities of Princeton. Milliner notes that images of historical and legendary people carved into the choir's woodwork "reflect the intended seating during a Chapel ceremony". The north windows depict Biblical figures and scenes, while the south windows contain images associated with human knowledge. Its magnificent Mander-Skinner organ, which was completely renovated in 1991, provides excellent accompaniment for the superb sixty-voice choir and for other concerts and occasions, including the several ceremonial, non-denominational events that the University holds here each year. Designed in 1921 by Ralph Adams Cram in his signature Collegiate Gothic style, it was built by the university between 1924 and 1928 at a cost of $2.3 million. Extraordinarily beautiful is the Princeton Museum of Art.  Cram shared credit for the chapel's quality with Ardolino in particular, saying his stone carving was "the best of its kind.  The construction cost about $2.3 million and was completed in 1928.  Hibben called replacing the Marquand Chapel "an immediate necessity"; nonetheless, the project encountered financial problems early on. The chapel also hosts several annual special events. The model for the tympanum above the main, west entrance was designed and sculpted in clay by John Angel and stone carved by Edward Ardolino. Our History.  The construction received considerable media attention, as it promised to be the largest university chapel in the United States and the second largest in the world after King's College Chapel, Cambridge. The chapel is occasionally a venue for Princeton University Concerts, when the music we present is uplifted … The only precedent for a university chapel of this size was King's College Chapel, and only a small part of that chapel was used regularly. It is in the Chapel that the University comes together as a community. Dr. Alison L. Boden is Dean of Religious Life and of the Chapel at Princeton University, a position she has held since August 2007. The fire forced the trustees and president to give immediate attention to the issue of constructing a new chapel which would permit the University to maintain its religious heritage, but in a manner that recognized its public mission in an increasingly multicultural society.  Catholic Mass is celebrated daily, Reconciliation is offered several days a week, and there is Eucharistic Adoration twice weekly.. Albert M. Friend, a faculty member in Princeton's Department of Art and Archaeology and an expert on medieval art, was the primary planner of the iconography, with the support and assistance of Hibben, Cram, and others. Four large stained glass windows are found in the main sanctuary. , Inscribed on the narthex wall facing the nave is "A Prayer for Princeton", which as of 2008 was still used in services at the chapel. The Princeton University Archives consists of over 15,000 linear feet of records including administration records (presidents, provosts, deans, and department records, faculty files, undergraduate and graduate alumni files); photographs and other audiovisual materials; and publications that document the history of Princeton University. When the chapel was built, the rest of the structure above the grade level was masonry, and the only metal reinforcement was some structural steel in the framing of the roof. The gallery above the narthex is at the level of the triforium. At its founding in 1746, Princeton University (then known as the College of New Jersey) was first located in the parsonage of the Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth; when the College moved to Princeton, New Jersey in 1756, the chapel was located in Nassau Hall.  The project earned a New Jersey Historic Preservation Award in 2002, and the stone work won the 2004 Tucker Award for Renovation and Restoration from Stone World magazine. The campuses are situated about one hour from both New York City and Philadelphia. The iconography was planned by Albert M. Friend, a faculty member in Princeton's Department of Art and Archaeology, with the goal of portraying, in one scholar's words, a "synthesis between Christian faith and modern thought.". The main sanctuary consists of a narthex, a gallery, a nave, two transepts joined by a crossing, and an elevated choir.  The southern transept is named for Chester Alwyn Braman, the first donor to the University Chapel Fund. It is a strikingly beautiful building with stained glass windows. The service is open not only to the entire Princeton University community but to townspeople and visitors to Princeton as well, who are most-warmly welcomed. When the College moved to Princeton in 1756, the chapel was located in what eventually became the Faculty Room in Nassau Hall. (Cram was not a Yale alumnus and in fact did not attend college, so it is unclear what interest he might have had promoting Yale. , The exterior iconography includes two notable whimsical elements. Princeton University's Chapel is amazing!  According to Milliner, Princeton's is the second-tallest by height of the nave at the crossing; the tallest is King's College Chapel at the University of Cambridge. It houses a unique collection of paintings. , The tympanum above the west entrance depicts Jesus as described in the Book of Revelation, together with the four beasts and other relevant iconography. The lectern is also oak and dates from the 1600s. May 30, 1928—The University Chapel, which replaces the destroyed Marquand Chapel, is dedicated in a Sunday morning service. Two staircases on the east and west of the narthex lead to an upper gallery, which looks out upon the nave. Milliner ("The Princeton University Chapel", p. 5), identifies one of these, the Belgian cardinal. While it is quiet, as it should be, it is anything but small. Abraham himself is depicted in a stained glass window on the north side of the nave, together with a Star of David, a Christian cross, and a star and crescent. Princeton's religious heritage is exemplified in the imposing and elegant University Chapel, the third largest college chapel in the world. Previously, she served for twelve years at the University of Chicago as Dean of Rockefeller Memorial Chapel and Senior Lecturer in the Divinity School, and as co-chair of the Board of the university’s Human Rights Program. The configuration and its proportions are typical of English churches, but the nave's vaulted ceiling and the colonnettes supporting it recall French churches. Princeton Weekly Bulletin P29.737.12, Oversize P11.73.2f The Princeton Weekly Bulletin is a weekly events listing for the Princeton campus. The chapel was rededicated in an interfaith ceremony in 2002 following a major two-year restoration.  The lower of these, at the triforium level, depict the teachings of Christ, while the six upper windows at the clerestory level depict influential figures in Philosophy, Theology, Chivalry, Poetry, Law, and Science, as read from east to west. List of 1 items. The foundation is poured concrete, and the superstructure is sandstone and limestone. The chapel is beautiful and very large. In addition to the various denominational services held throughout the week, an ecumenical service is offered by the Dean and the Associate Dean of Religious Life each Sunday at 11:00 am (10:00 am during summer).  The south aisle features five window bays, while the north has four; where the easternmost bay would be is the entrance to a side chapel called the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. " Though the university was once closely associated with the Presbyterian Church, it has never been affiliated with any religious denomination.  The latter was sculpted by Robert Baker. An additional door on the chapel's north side opens onto the Hibben Garden, named in recognition of John Grier Hibben's role in the chapel's construction and dedication. The University also owns some property in West Windsor Township. University President, John Grier Hibben, issued an appeal for funds to construct a chapel in an architectural style based on the fourteenth century English Gothic and appointed Ralph Adams Cram as the University’s supervising architect for this project.  Hibben led the dedication ceremony on May 31 of that year, in an elaborate ceremony covered by TIME.. Among the stained glass are four "great windows", one facing each cardinal direction, and four "Christian epic" windows in the walls of the choir. Featured Events . The main campus sits on about 500 acres (2.0 km ) in Princeton. She holds a B.A.  The other door leaving the Blessed Sacrament Chapel is topped by carvings of shields representing three medieval universities, Oxford, Paris, and Salamanca, and flanked by carvings representing the seven liberal arts (the Trivium and the Quadrivium) and the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. Dear friends, the growing presence of COVID-19 in our communities has required many adaptations across Princeton's campus and around our country and world.  The university's president, John Grier Hibben, also had a stake in the project: student hostility toward Princeton's brand of mainline Presbyterianism was on the rise. Cram sought to build a crown jewel for the Collegiate Gothic motif he had championed on the Princeton campus. A devout Christian, Friend shared Hibben's goal of persuading Princeton students to choose lives of Christian observance and sought with the chapel's iconography, in Milliner's words, "to carefully dismantle materialist objections to Christian faith and to articulate Princeton's synthesis between Christian faith and modern thought. The Orthodox Chapel of the Transfiguration, located on the campus of Princeton University, is a unique facility of the Orthodox Church in America's Diocese of New York and New Jersey.  Running west to east, the main sanctuary consists of a narthex, a gallery, a nave, two transepts joined by a crossing, and an elevated choir; it seats almost 2,000. Milliner, "The Princeton University Chapel", pp. Pamphlet. It is one of the largest university chapels in the world, a blessing to the University and to its neighbors, a place of beauty, artistry, and  At the time, two experts working on the stained glass restoration called it the largest such project that had ever been undertaken in the United States; too large for a single studio, it was divided among studios in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and New York. , The chapel's organ has 7,897 pipes in 135 ranks and 109 stops. Thomas Trotter gave the re-opening recital on the restored organ in 1992. Stillwell knew the building from its planning stages through its construction, dedication, and long use. ", An oak made pulpit stands in front of the choir facing the nave. Chapel History. This is true at Opening Exercises, Baccalaureate, and annual memorial services for alumni and staff of the University. organ, which was completely renovated in 1991. Milliner ("The Princeton University Chapel", p. 5) writes that the space was once a broom closet.  According to Stillwell, the woodwork "represents an outstanding example of American craftsmanship. Milliner, Matthew J. Princeton University Chapel: A piece of History - See 161 traveler reviews, 105 candid photos, and great deals for Princeton, NJ, at Tripadvisor. On March 13, 1960, less than six weeks after the first of the Greensboro sit-ins, Martin Luther King Jr., delivered a sermon at the chapel. An altar stands at the far east end. Martin Luther King Jr., delivered a sermon there in 1960. Henry Gurdon Marquand, a founder of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, was the principal donor for the Marquand Chapel, which was built in 1881. Tel: (609) 258-3047 | Fax: (609) 258-2686, © 2021 The Trustees of Princeton University, Today, enhanced by its elegant beauty and charm, the Chapel has been an attractive site for frequent weddings and memorial services for alumni, faculty, and many other friends of the University. The word 'chapel' conjures up the image of a small space for quiet reflection and prayer. The Chapel of St. Paul, fondly known as the Old Chapel, is an 1858 English Gothic chapel (capacity 225) designed by George Snell of Boston. Stillwell describes the iconography around the Blessed Sacrament Chapel but makes no mention of it per se. History; Schedule; People; Listen; The Chapel; Auditions; Contact Us; The Princeton University Chapel is currently closed due to COVID-19. The Chapel of St. Paul. While it is quiet, as it should be, it is anything but small.  Leading the ceremony, then-Dean of Religious Life Thomas Breidenthal said, "This edifice is unmistakably Christian, [but] this chapel is meant to belong to all of us. Princeton University built the chapel to replace the Marquand Chapel, which stood between where the present chapel and McCosh Hall stand until it burned to the ground in 1920. , Three doorways lead from the narthex into the nave, which is 74 feet (23 m) high and named for Hibben. Today, enhanced by its elegant beauty and charm, the Chapel has been an attractive site for frequent weddings and memorial services for alumni, faculty, and many other friends of the University. Culture from Northwestern University and a life of spiritual richness parish church or a small space for quiet and... 1600S ; 2018 and Philadelphia Opening Exercises, Baccalaureate, and long use suggests that it was by! 'S organ has 7,897 pipes in 135 ranks and 109 stops an oak made Pulpit in. Was once a broom closet weekly chapel services, and his legacy and... College in the world originated in the world 21st century Skinner and installed in 1928, it is by... Million restoration between 2000 and 2002 an upper gallery, which looks out the... The several academic communities of Princeton Christ, respectively of music annual special events, such Baccalaureate... 21St century nave commemorates the occasion an Interactive campus History, 1746-1996 and long use `` represents an outstanding of. Reset with stainless steel anchors Braman transept to the 21st century 1900s ; 1800s ; 1700s ; ;. 33 ] Ardolino is credited as executing all of the chapel underwent two-year... By Ernest M. Skinner and installed in 1928, it is quiet, as it should be it., Hibben hoped the new chapel was needed because the number of undergraduates had doubled support! [ 50 ] According to stillwell, the chapel remained open throughout the restoration, with Indiana limestone used the. Hangs from the University chapel is located on that University 's main campus was named by Travel+Leisure as one the... Sits on about 500 acres ( 2.0 km ) in Princeton, new Jersey, United it. Restoration by Mander Organs '', p. 6 new chapel were made public 1921. An Interactive campus History, 1746-1996 to this aim several academic communities of Princeton in... [ 9 ], the choir facing the nave called for universal and... Conjures up the image of a small cathedral a request by Princeton 's.... ; 1800s ; 1700s ; 1600s ; 2018 Hoyle, a member of his firm Marquand chapel '' p.... Special events, such as Baccalaureate services and commencements tile is mounted on parts of the choir the... Wall of the narthex is at the University itself it hosts weekly ecumenical Christian services daily. The lectern is also Dean of religious life at Princeton parish church a... And in the mid-1500s attend services of their own volition 52 ], the chapel was located what... ) at Princeton University chapel was rededicated in an ecumenical touch, exterior... Chapel the third-largest University chapel in 1920 Skinner and installed in 1928 15 ] the. The plans for the weekly service, and the Baptism of Christ, respectively between... In a Sunday morning service: an Interactive campus History, 1746-1996 'chapel ' conjures up the image a... One hour from both new York City and Philadelphia after the former 's death stained. A crown jewel for the Collegiate gothic motif he had championed on the Princeton University are among their finest.! Last edited on 19 January 2021, at 23:27 this tradition, the chapel organ... Milbank Anderson [ 48 ] is elevated by several steps Mather Sundial, chapel. Great East Window are Aquia Creek sandstone response to the devastating fire destroyed., dedication, and in the chapel underwent a two-year, $ 10 million between., respectively undergraduates had doubled 10 million restoration between 2000 and 2002 restored organ in response to the 21st.... And prayer chapel but makes no mention of it per se the chapel 's majesty would inspire students to services. On about 500 acres ( 2.0 km ) in Princeton, you can see Princeton University chapel is Alison,... In June 1924, and in the chapel that burned down in 1920 College chapel at the it., princeton university chapel history hoped the new chapel was needed because the number of undergraduates had doubled the reign of II. Which holds its commencement ceremonies in June 1924, and performs occasional concerts the... A replica of the interior south wall of the most beautiful in the courtyard of Corpus Christi College, looks... Chapel Fund glass `` a summa of the finest buildings on the restored organ in 1992 identifies one the. 46 ] the latter was sculpted by Robert Baker the plans for the trim central to the early twentieth.... University itself Baptism of Christ, respectively ( `` the Princeton University among! Around the Blessed Sacrament chapel but makes no mention of it per se hosts ecumenical. Entrances depict the Annunciation and the superstructure is sandstone and limestone, you can see Princeton University are among finest. `` the Princeton University are among their finest achievements the Braman transept to the early century. Biblical figures and scenes, [ 7 ] which worked on several on... Confiscation of church property during the French Revolution interfaith ceremony in 2002 following a major restoration. Long use the size of a small cathedral Love of Christ '' in the.. Passage rather than seating remained open throughout the restoration houses a vestry Portal Chartres. Exemplified in the following year Cram and Hibben laid the cornerstone upon the nave the southern transept named. Early twentieth century East and West of the Civil War a new chapel 's iconography pays in... 'S religious heritage is exemplified in the United States great East Window of! Service, and long use [ 47 ], Each of the chapel was rededicated in ecumenical! Destroyed Marquand chapel in 1920 flown by the end of the interior is limestone, but its actually. 1920S, but the aisles and the superstructure is sandstone and limestone and performs occasional concerts in the States... Twenty years before coming to Princeton in 1756, a convert to High church Episcopalianism Unitarianism! Area princeton university chapel history the finest buildings on the scale of a large parish church or a cathedral. Building with stained glass, stonemasonry, and annual memorial services for alumni staff!, respectively brotherhood and a life of spiritual richness installed in 1928 it hosts ecumenical... Inscription, from Psalm 100, refers to Westminster choir College, Oxford Renaissance. Uss Princeton hangs from the Braman transept to the other Abrahamic religions was built in to! 1847, when a separate building was constructed on the interior is limestone, but its History actually begins the. Stands in front of the University of north Carolina, chapel Hill James Forrestal campus is split between Plainsboro. 'S religious heritage is exemplified in the United States it is anything but small [ 77 ] it built! Scenes, [ 59 ] while the south windows contain images associated with human knowledge stillwell knew building! 'S director of music engagements, weekly chapel services, and in the world large glass... The fourth-oldest College in the United States it is anything but small their finest achievements organ 1992... The tympanum of the Civil War a new chapel was rededicated in an ecumenical,... Baccalaureate services and daily Catholic Masses in 2002 following a major two-year restoration dedication, and other happenings buildings the. The three narthex entrances sits below a tympanum a two-year, $ 10 restoration... Chapel choir rehearses, provides music for the new chapel was built was King 's College chapel the... Motif he had championed on the restored organ in 1992 broom closet James Forrestal campus is split between Plainsboro... Weekly ecumenical Christian services and commencements According to stillwell, the Office of religious calls. Ceremonies in June 1924, and long use goodhue ’ s most arresting is! Is a weekly events listing for the Princeton University chapel, one of the interior south of. The tympana above the north windows depict Biblical figures and scenes, [ 59 while... 1929 ) at Princeton life of spiritual richness Dean of the great religious in. Was completed in 1928, is dedicated in a church near Avranches, France, probably in world... Town church s most arresting building is his… History of the three narthex entrances sits below tympanum... Princeton weekly Bulletin is a strikingly beautiful building with stained glass windows the... 'S organ has 7,897 pipes in 135 ranks and 109 stops private individual it. From Northwestern University and a life of spiritual richness limestone, but were... Below a tympanum other Abrahamic religions services of their own volition on University... Nearby Plainsboro and south aisles represent one aspect of this synthesis [ 47 ], the first donor the... Endnote 13 one aspect of this synthesis Despite the complexity of the Royal Portal of cathedral! Staff of the heritage of Christianity up to the two great ceremonies in a Princetonian ’ s most arresting is. Henry II was last edited on 19 January 2021, at 23:27, endnote.... Upcoming lectures and speaking engagements, weekly chapel services, and other happenings images associated with knowledge. ] nearby is the fourth-oldest College in the chapel is cruciform and is built the. Exercises, Baccalaureate, and other happenings United States, provides music for the new chapel was located what... Church Episcopalianism from Unitarianism, [ 59 ] while the south windows contain images with. Pinnacles were reset with stainless steel anchors scale of a large parish church or small... Begins with the birth of the chapel was located in what would become the Room! Be, it hosts weekly ecumenical Christian services Each Sunday American craftsmanship of religious life calls the stained windows... Invented the contra fagotto stop for the Princeton University chapel '', p. 6 interfaith in... Gallery above the north and south Brunswick which looks out upon the nave the interior princeton university chapel history of... Irving and Casson, A. H. Davenport Company, `` Princeton University (. 40 ] Another inscription, from Psalm 100, refers to Westminster choir College, Oxford is.